Traveling in Belize
- American Airlines
- Continental Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- TACA Airlines
- Maya Island Air
- Tropic Air
Airport Departure Tax
- There is an airport departure tax. Please check with your airline regarding the total fee amount.
- Belize is an independent country with a democratically elected parliamentary government. Belize is a member of the British Commonwealth.
- A passport (which must be valid beyond the length of your stay) is required to enter Belize, along with proof of return. No visas are necessary from the United States, United Kingdom or most Caribbean countries. Countries not listed usually require visas. Check with your travel representative.
- Belize is on Central Standard Time and does not observe daylight-savings time.
- Belize features a sub-tropical climate with prevailing winds from the Caribbean Sea. The average temperature is 80 degrees F. The rainy season is between June and August.
- Evenings can be cool so a light sweater or jacket is recommended. Otherwise, choose light, airy clothing for daytime adventures unless you are headed to the jungle where the prevalence of insects and thick plant growth demands sturdy, protective clothing.
- Gratuities are rarely added to your checks. Tipping 10 – 15 percent of your total bill is highly recommended.
- There are government-mandated hotel taxes and a general sales tax.
Hospitals and Medical Facilities
- Medical care is available at hospitals and clinics in Belize.
- Drinking water is potable.
- A variety of food is available, including vegetarian options. Vegan meals are difficult, if not impossible, to find on a regular basis.
- Crime occurs in every city and country. It is advised that you do not wear flashy jewelry, do not walk alone at night and that you always alert someone to your plans and intended destination.
1 Belize: A Natural Destination by Richard Mahler and Steele Wotkyns, 2 Insights Guides: Belize